The Potters Wheel - Sunniside
The Taylors' owned this property which was built by Harry Kindred in 1926. Part of the building was used as Taylor’s Refreshments and the rest as a dance hall in which were held weekly dances.
Then it was bought, by Seed and Sons and turned into a garage. Next Warriers bought it as a base for a Taxi Business. Later it became a garage again.
It then became the first night-club in The North-East of England, The Blue Parrot. On one occasion the cabaret act was Mandy Rice-Davies of Profumo fame. The club closed when night-clubs started opening up in Newcastle and other local towns.
Next it became a proprietary club, then a Chinese Restaurant. At present it is a very popular pub, The Potters Wheel. It opened, despite protests, in February 1973. (Five licensees in the area and the owner of an off licence objected to the application.) The Licencee was George Pritchard formerly Manager at the Towneley Arms, Rowlands Gill.
The premises had been bought by a wholesale potter, hence the name.
Note the price of a meal!