Marley Hill Dates
1904 Will Harrison, last brakesman, was born on 25th. March in High Marley Hill.
1926 Railway accident at East Tanfield on the 13th of April.
1932 The railway line originally known as the Pontop and Jarrow is now to be known as the Bowes Incline.
1936 Miners' Welfare Hall opened by Duke and Duchess or York (the present Queen Mother)
1937 "German" Coke Ovens closed.
1958 Senior pupils transferred to Burnopfield Modern School.
1962 Bowes Incline was closed on September the second.
1964 The Tanfield line was closed.
1964 First extension to Primary School, including indoor toilets.
1974 Additional classroom built by Durham CC, then school transferred to Gateshead MBC
1978 The Tanfield Line was taken over by amateurs and the first stage opened was from Marley Hill to Bowes Bridge.
1982 The Tanfield railway was extended to Sunniside.
1983 Marley Hill Colliery closed.
1995 Marley Hill School Centenary.
1998 Will Harrison, the last brakesman, died on the second of February.