1920 Two shafts were sunk in Watergate Woods to form the Watergate Colliery. A housing estate was built for colliery workers on Broom Lane, Whickham.
1941 There was a very heavy fall of snow and the army was given the task to clear the track from the top of Baker's Bank to the bottom of the Lobley Hill incline.
1953 December- a new underground railway was completed at Watergate Colliery at a cost of £40,000. It was nearly 2 miles long from the shaft bottom to the coalface and a pair of trains carried the men inbye.
1954 Pithead baths and a canteen were built at Watergate Colliery.
1957 Watergate colliery was sending 700 tons of coal each day down the railway to Dunston.
1958 Newcastle and District Motor Club held motor cycle trials in Washingwell Woods
1963 "White Elephant" School closed.
1964 August 20th - Watergate Colliery closed due to it losing money.
1966 Watergate Colliery - the shafts were filled in and the screens demolished.
1974 Fire totally destroyed the old "White Elephant" School building.
1977 Gateshead M.B.C. bought Washingwell Woods from the National Coal Board.